Money-for-companionship is usually seen as a major factor in older woman younger man relationships. However, recent reports show that other factors could make an older woman, younger man relationship possible.
Currently, 6 out of every 50 marriages in America involve a younger man and an older woman. And with current indications from several studies, the trend of young men dating and marrying older ladies isn’t going away.
Getting wind of older woman, younger man relationships is easier with access to correct information. That’s why this guide presents ten (10) top older woman, younger man relationship stats.
1. 12% of marriages in the US are between older women and younger men
US Census Bureau
Compiled data shows that around 12 out of 100 US marriages involve an older woman and a younger man. What this data reveals is that more than 1 in 10 marriages in America is an older woman, younger man relationship.
It is quite difficult to get historical figures to measure the trend of old woman, young man marriages in the US. However, several reports indicate that age disparity in marriages isn’t a recent phenomenon in America.
2. Over 30% of women aged 40 – 69 prefer dating younger men
A recent survey reveals that about 3 out of 10 women within the ages of 40 – 69 years prefer dating a younger man.
3. 14.8% of older women dating younger men are 2 – 20 years older than their spouse
US Census Bureau
Collated numbers show that about 14.8% of heterosexual couples are involved in an older women and younger man relationship. The survey data shows that:
- 6.9% of women in the survey are 2 – 3 years older than their husband
- 3.4% of women in the survey are 4 – 5 years older than their spouse
- 2.8% of women in the survey are 6 – 9 years older than their spouse
- 1.0% of women in the survey are 10 – 14 years older than their spouse
- 0.3% of women in the survey are 15 – 19 years older than their spouse
- 0.4% of women in the survey are over 20 years older than their spouse
4. ‘Puma’ is a common slang term that describes older women dating men 10 years their junior
Women in their 30s – 40s dating men at least 10 years younger than them are called cougars or pumas. Other slang terms to describe older men dating younger women (lecher, cradle snatcher, etc.) also exist.
5. According to a survey, 1 in 10 older woman, younger man relationships lead to marriage
An AARP survey shows that about one in ten relationships between an older woman and a younger man lead to marriage. Census Bureau figures show that more than 10% of all US marriages occur between couples with wide age disparities.
6. Older woman younger man relationships with 10 – 15-year age gaps have an over 1 in 3 chance of divorce
Societal stigma is common against couples in older women younger men relationships, and these unions are prone to divorce. Reports suggest that relationships involving older women and younger men with a 10 – 15-year age gap have a 30% chance of divorcing.
7. Fun and companionship are the two (2) major reasons for an older woman, younger man relationship
A survey conducted involving 3,500 singles reveal that having fun is a major reason for being in an older woman, younger man relationship. Another survey shows that mature women are more likely to get a more active sex life when involved with younger men.
The AARP survey also cites companionship as another major reason why people engage in older women, younger men relationship. Compatibility, aligned expectations, likes/dislikes, and some other factors drive singles’ interest in engaging with an older partner.
8. A US survey reveals that 20% of older women have been in a relationship with a younger man
An AARP survey of 2,000+ single women found that 20% of women aged between 40 – 69 years are currently dating or have dated a man five (5) years younger.
The numbers prove that single, middle-aged women are likely to date men several years their junior.
9. Education, exposure, interests, and marital history are four (4) common drivers of marriage in an older woman, younger man relationship
A detailed survey showed that about 8% of respondents want to marry a younger man. However, numbers show that more than 10% of older woman, younger man relationships will end in marriage.
So, what drives this uptick in marriages between older females and younger males?
Highest education attained, like interests between couples, level of exposure, and marital history are drivers of marriage in such relationships. Surprisingly, age is not a major factor among most women who seek to enter a relationship with a younger man.
10. In a recent survey, over 8 out of 10 men are open to dating women 10 years older
A recently conducted survey reveals that men are more open to date older women. Numbers show that about 81% of younger men have no problem dating women 10 years their elder.