What Are Dividers for in Discord?
Discord has been one of the most used communication platforms of today. Discord’s server customizability has been one of its greatest features which is why a lot of communities flock over to use it. One specific customization that many people might be interested to look at are Discord channel dividers.
Discord channel dividers are used to manage channels within categories, often used as aesthetic dividers in between channels. Often, they are simply text or voice channels kept private by the server owner with custom channel names to indicate as a divider between channels.
How Do You Make a Divider in Discord
Server customization is a big deal in Discord. They offer a wide variety of server organization features and interactions with the platform, yet Discord channel dividers are not official features. The closest feature similar to a divider is the category, which may not offer the level of organization that the channel divider provides.
Since Discord does not offer channel dividers as an official feature, users make do by utilizing an empty, private text or voice channel to organize channels within categories. By setting specific permissions on the channel, the divider becomes purely aesthetic which cannot be interacted with by users.
To highlight that it is a Discord channel divider, it is usually given a non-alphabetical name, either a simple line or a set of custom symbols that indicate it as a divider.
To make a Discord channel divider:
1. First make a channel. You can do this by right-clicking on an empty area in the channel sidebar on the left, and picking “Create Channel.”
2. On the Create Channel dialog, you can choose a text channel for a channel divider in between text channels or a voice channel for in between voice channels. For the channel name, you can use a series of underscores for now, as Discord does not accept hyphens in channel names (unless it is between words).
3. Go to Edit Channel by hovering over the channel you created and clicking on the gear button at the right.
4. Go to Permissions in the left sidebar to set the channel permissions. Make sure that you’re setting the advanced permissions for everyone (or the non-administrative roles in your server), as you can see under Roles/Members. Set all advanced permissions to X, except for the View Channel permission.
This includes all general channel permissions, membership permissions, text channel permissions, and voice channel permissions. This will not allow members to interact with the channel at all, aside from being able to see them in the channel list.
5. Now, you can move the channel divider in between the channels that you wish to separate. Remember that text channel dividers cannot be placed between or beside voice channels, and the same is true for voice channel dividers.
Discord Channel Dividers Copy and Paste
A series of underscores might have done the job above, but you will want something a bit more aesthetic. Most of the time, you would prefer to use a better series of lines or even custom symbols that you might want to copy from this blog post and paste on the channel name.
Here are some of the best channel dividers that might suit your tastes:
These are only some of the many aesthetic channel dividers. You can find more when you scour the Internet, or you can even make your own by looking into peculiar symbols and even integrating emojis.
These dividers can be quite redundant in a small Discord server among friends, since having categories might be enough for them. However, these are quite useful in larger servers used by communities with many members.
Categories may not be enough to cater to the many possible avenues of topics that a big server would have. Maybe there might be text channels dedicated to chatting with everyone, then there are also text channels for images and other media that also fit inside the category.
You might also want to limit the number of users in voice channels, breaking them out into separate voice channels. A voice channel divider would be great in organizing these voice channels.
With better organization, channel dividers help new users navigate around the server and find related channels together.
How Do I Make My Discord Channels Look Cool
Discord channel dividers are often used together with other aesthetic symbols in channel names to decorate your Discord server. These fancy symbols can help accentuate your server with cute designs that might delight your users.
These channel dividers do more than just decorate your server: since your server serves as the face of your community for the most part, having these decorative dividers actually helps establish your brand. A well-designed Discord server is indicative of a healthy community and an owner who thinks well of his members.